August 2, 2005

Madison City Budget: Lisa Does the Math

Lisa S takes a look at the local Police Department's budget communications vis a vis a 3% reduction (is this an actual reducation or a reducation in the increase?):
Personnel salaries and related expenses make up about 89% of the police department's operating budget. The remaining 11% of the operating budget consists of minor objects and capital assets. Apparently, Chief Wray was either unable or unwilling to find any significant cuts within this other 11% of the budget.

Another interesting item in the 2005 budget is $1.6 million worth of overtime pay. When asked about the possibility of cutting overtime, one alderperson explained that this expense is hard to change because it is part of the negotiated union contracts. Chief Wray shares this sentiment
Posted by James Zellmer at August 2, 2005 7:02 AM | Subscribe to this site via RSS:
Posted to Politics | Taxes