Jay Rosen takes a useful look at Journalism & Big Media (or MSM - Main Stream Media to some). I like this:
Posted by James Zellmer at October 6, 2004 12:15 AM | Subscribe to this site via RSS:
- The real job of journalism is to help make the public lfe of the nation work well.
- For journalists, the rise of citizen comment on the Internet should be something to celebrate and learn from.
- The bias discourse has descended into meaninglessness, which doesn't meant the press isn't trapped by its own preconceptions.
- The survival of Big Media is not critical, the survival of journalism is. There's a big difference between those two.
- Bloggers "who care about facts and ideas," and there are many of those, should be wary of the Orwellians on their own side, who are themselves engaged in propaganda-- the charge they are most likely to hurl at others.