2001: A Space Odyssey – Stanley Kubrick’s 1968 sci-fi masterpiece – seems an appropriate place to start a blog about typography in sci-fi. Amongst other delights, it offers a zero-gravity toilet, emergency resuscitations, exploding bolts, and product placement aplenty. It’s also the Ur Example of Eurostile Bold Extended’s regular appearance in spacecraft user interfaces.
Right from the opening scene, we’re treated to Kubrick’s love of bold, clean, sans-serif typography:
- Aug 31, ’14 What does one ask a hermit on Mount Athos?
- Aug 28, ’14 1st 4K/2K Odyssey 7Q Sequences from Beunos Aires’ Ezeiza International Airport
- Aug 25, ’14 Faith & Money or Money & Faith; Chobani + 16% & The Dolar Azul
- Aug 24, ’14 Enchanting: Casa de Campo La Paya Near Cachi, Argentina
- Aug 15, ’14 Paris Time Lapse